As spring arrives and weather gets better we are all itching to get a cars out of winter storage and go for a spin. There are a few things to remember to make that cruise more enjoyable.
- Throw the charger on your battery. If it has been sitting for a few months be sure your battery if fully charged. Your alternator is designed to maintain a charge on your battery not charge a dead battery. Trying to charge a dead battery with your alternator will shorten its life and might overwork it.
- Check your tire pressure. Tires can lose over 1 pound of pressure a month. And we all know that running on low pressure can effect tire wear and gas mileage.
- Check all your fluids. They are all important!
- Fresh Fuel. Hopefully you used a fuel storage additive before you put it away last fall. Todays ethanol blended fuels don’t behave well when stored.
- Check for rodents. Mice love making nests in cars. If you are in a rodent prone area check inside air cleaners, heater ducts, glove boxes and such.
- Check all your lights. Sitting dormant can be unkind to electrical connections.
- AND MOST OF ALL, BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN!
I have been asked many times what is the difference or which is better NOS, NORS or New? I hope this helps shed some light on these age old questions.
Just what is the difference?
NOS……New Old Stock. These are parts that are new unused, that were made in the time period of the car they fit, by the original manufacture or one of its original vendors. These are the exact pieces your car would have had from the factory. Keep in mind NOS does not mean Perfect! Some items age better than others. There may be fading, shrinking or shelf wear, etc. Some examples of items that do not age very well are items containing rubber, cork, etc.
NORS…..New Old Replacement Stock. These are parts that are new unused, made in the past by a aftermarket vendor for the replacement market. These will replace the original part in fit and function, but are not made by original manufacture. Sometimes there is a advantage to using NORS in that they usually are more available and often they have been improved over original design.
NEW……New parts are current production items made by aftermarket vendors. These will replace original parts in fit and function, but are not original pieces. They may or may not be made offshore. The advantages of using NEW parts are better availability and cost and have no age related issues.
There are many things to consider when purchasing parts, price, availability, their intended use and more.